mt.exe from kdewin32 screws up msvc2005

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Sat Sep 26 22:31:22 CEST 2009

Christian Ehrlicher schrieb:
> Ralf Habacker schrieb:
>
>> Christian Ehrlicher schrieb:
>>
>>> Because there're two mt.exe executables (the correct one from msvc and
>>> the one from kdewin32) the wrong one is used when trying to build e.g.
>>> automoc.exe which leads to an empty manifest resource in automoc4.exe.
>>>

>> The source of kdewin mt is available so the problem looks to be
>> solvable. How is the exact build line for reproducing the problem.
>>
> I solved it by removing mt.exe. That's enough for me.

And you gave up vista  uac support ?
>>> Removing the one from kdewin32 and rebuilding automoc4 resovles the issue.
>>>

>> The original mt from msvc is unusable when required to add vista uac
>> manifest.
>>

> I know - but adding another tool with the same name...
You wrote that the kde build system uses the mt tool provided by
kdewin32, so it seems that there is no problem with using a tool with
the same name.
> you know my
> concerns about emulating a crappy tool like mt.exe instead creating a
> good new one.

What is crappy with this tool ? With the kdewin mt tool mingw has now a
tool to handle many manifest related problems, which wasn't there before.

>>> Since nobody had this problem before it looks like nobody is compiling
>>> kde with msvc anymore... wow!
>>>

>> Because msvc2005 is not anymore downloadable from the mircosoft website
>> everone builds now with msvc2008.
>>

> The mt.exe was created *before* msvc2008 support was added iirc.
And iirc it worked as I used it with msvc2005
> And now I also understand why I had the problems some months ago.

Do you have reported the issue to this list, so that there had been a
chance to fix the problem ?