Linux Journal article on KDE on Windows

Stuart Jarvis stuart.jarvis at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 11:40:59 CEST 2009

Hello list,

(Apologies if this arrives twice - I first sent yesterday but it didn't seem to
get delivered)

I'm a member of the KDE promo team - most visibly I've written a few Dot
articles, including one on running KDE applications on ReactOS using the KDE
on Windows ports.

I'm currently in the process of writing an article about KDE on Windows for
the February edition of Linux Journal (http://www.linuxjournal.com/) and I'd
like to ask you a few questions. I'd welcome either individual responses from
subscribers from this list or a "KDE on Windows team" response if you prefer.

I may wish to quote your replies in the article, so it would be great if you
could describe your role within KDE on Windows when you reply so that I can
give some context to the attribution of any quotes I use (I'll clear use of
any quotes before submitting the article). I've read through the KDE on
Windows FAQ and had a brief peruse of the mailing list archive and for
some of the questions I think I know the answers, but I'd like the article to
be about your opinions, not mine.

My deadline for submitting the article is 2 November, so I really need
Short responses are absolutely fine and it's ok to not answer all the questions
or even to add you own questions and answers if there's something interesting
that I have missed :-)

Thanks for taking the time to read this. *Please remember to cc me in on any
replies as I'm not subscribed to this list*.

Questions follow below.

Cheers,
Stuart Jarvis

*Questions about KDE on Windows:*

How did the project get started - who started the project?

What were the aims?

Have these aims been met? Will they be?

Do you have any idea of which are the most popular applications among Windows
users?

Has the core KDE community been supportive? (for example, the e.V., upstream
developers of applications you package)

Has the KDE community as a whole been supportive? (Including users)

Has KDE on Windows brought new users or developers or users to KDE? (I'd be
particularly interested to hear from anyone who _started_ with KDE on Windows
as a user or developer. The FAQ mentions an Amarok developer who apparently
got involved through an interest in Amarok on Windows)

What have you learned about packaging for Windows users? For example, the
Installer has seen some changes, with more splitting in to individual packages
rather than KDE modules - was this in response to user feedback?

Are there any exciting changes to KDE on Windows that will be arriving as a
result of KDE 4.4?

Roughly how many people are actively involved in the KDE on Windows project?