kmail fetches messages from pop3 server repeatedly

Andreas Mahel andreas.mahel at gmx.net
Tue Oct 13 12:59:39 CEST 2009

Hi Anonymous,

off-topic answer: no, not really. It mainly means that you cannot manage
messages (and especially folders) on the server from your local client.
The interactions possible are mainly "list inbox", "fetch single mail",
"delete mail". But you are not required to remove the mail from the
server once you have fetched it.

And a POP3 email client can do some bookkeeping about which mails it
already fetched before, and choose not to get them a second time (most
POP3 servers provide a unique message id for this).

Ho the other hand, there actually are mail "servers" out there which
follow some "deliver once" paradigm. This is not server specific
behavior, though, not  part of the POP3 protocol.

Regards,
Andreas