download statistics

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Sun Nov 8 10:53:07 CET 2009

Bernhard Reiter schrieb:
> Am Dienstag, 3. November 2009 15:22:51 schrieb Ralf Habacker:
>
>> for the kde on windows master server (www.winkde.org) there is a
>> download statistics available (unfortunally not for the kde mirror
>> servers).
>>  From the Oktober 2009 statistics there are some exiting results:
>>

>> - There are currently 64 mirrors online worldwide with - extrapolated -
>> more than one million downloaded files per day.
>>

> (I think they will download a lot less because the are not the master site.)

There are some more numbers to get a more real impressions of the numbers:

1. The list of mirrors are fetched 43045 times  (by counting the
download number of mirror.list from winkde.org)
2. people selected releases **9297 times from www.winkde.org (by
counting the number of fetched config.txt files)
3. from this 9297 times there are
     3.1. 473 nightly release selection
     3.2. 8621 stable release selection
     3.3. 85 unstable release selection

from 1. and 2. we can calculate the number of release selections outside
winkde.org, which is 33748 (= 78%)

With this numbers we can get a better estimate of the lower bound for
downloads from other server

- 78% percent of installations are fetched outside of winkde.org
- from winkde.org there are downloaded 30.000 files a day
-> there are estimated 109.000 files a day from other servers (assuming
people downloads the same packages as from winkde.org)
-> in all there must be a minimum of about 140.000 packages downloaded
from all server,

.. to be continued

Regards