download statistics

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Nov 4 10:06:42 CET 2009

Am Dienstag, 3. November 2009 15:22:51 schrieb Ralf Habacker:
> for the kde on windows master server (www.winkde.org) there is a
> download statistics available (unfortunally not for the kde mirror
> servers).
>  From the Oktober 2009 statistics there are some exiting results:

> - There are currently 64 mirrors online worldwide with - extrapolated -
> more than one million downloaded files per day.

(I think they will download a lot less because the are not the master site.)

> - The installer is downloaded about 100.000 times every month.

Cool, so it basically matches the current ftp.gpg4win.org download rate.
A pleasant surprise!

> The top most downloaded packages are (in download order):
>
> kdebase-workspace
> kdebase-apps
> digikam
> kdeedu
> kdenetwork
> kate
> kdeutils
> okular
> kdegames
> koffice
> gwenview
> kdepim
> umbrello
>
> That the workspace package is downloaded on top may be an indicator that
> KDE windows user like to have KDE desktop support on windows.

I somehow distrust that interpretation, my guess is that something in there
will make people download it with a less understanding what this really would
mean.

Given that we have so many downloads, we might think about how collect more
feedback from users. The problem seems similiar to Gpg4win were we also
believe we do not know enough about our (potential) users and we lack more
feedback in general. Note that KDE on windows might be in a similiar
situation as outlined for the contributor structure in this paper (from
2006):  http://gpg4win.org/ShortStudy-Sustainable-FS-example-Gpg4win.html .
Gpg4win has lot of users and just a few core developers.
With KDE on windows I guess we will have a little less real users,
but more on the rest of the pyramid.

Best,
Bernhard