[kde-promo] KDE inside graphics? (Re: Linux Journal article on KDE on Windows)

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Nov 4 13:11:47 CET 2009

On Wednesday 04 November 2009 10:06:23 Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> > > Yes, I guess a follow up question is do they only see Kleopatra as a
> > > standalone application (and use that, which is nice) or do they
> > > understadnnd it is related to KDE and then try and find out more about
> > > that and see what else KDE can offer? Not an easy one to answer.
> >
> > With current Gpg4win, KDE is not as visible as it should. People might
> > not recognise Kleopatra as a KDE application, it is the whole package
> > they use, e.g. directly from within Outlook (if they are using GpgOL).
>
> I consider doing a "KDE inside" thing to make this more visible at several
> places, because the general "KDE" help tab is not really well integrated
>  and  understood. The logo or text could be displayed in more places.
> Maybe this is a good idea in general as KDE technology (and community
>  efforts)  will get into more and more slick products in the future.

It has one problem, KDE is a very fuzzy concept right now. So just "KDE inside" won't
work well. (Also might sound too much of a rip-off from Intel.)

The idea of making the connection to KDE visible is good though. For sub-brands, the
marketing team has gone into the direction of calling things "A KDE Project" (this is
more in line with recent re-branding efforts that separate  KDE applications,
workspace, platform and the community as different sub-brands. This process is
ongoing, though, but surely good to keep in mind when thinking of promoting (parts
of) KDE.
--
sebas