compiler for KDE on Windows

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Thu May 7 11:35:32 CEST 2009

Christian Ehrlicher schrieb:
>> Von: Ralf Habacker
>> Ralf Habacker schrieb:

>> do

>> crappy manifest things and we need to build something around this. Maybe
>> with a custom PRE_BUILD command or something. But someone has to figure it
>> out...

>> msvc2005 which already adds a small manifest but which is not enough)

>> manifest and executed update_mime_database without asking the user :)

>> a working example) let me know...
>>

>>> http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cpp/dynares.aspx may help.
>>>

>> In the kdewin32 package there is an initial version of a manifest
>> extractor/update tool like msvc's mt see kdesupport/kdewin32/tools/mt.
>>
>> Another approach is by using windres from the mingw tool chain. It is
>> possible out of the box to compile a rc file containing a manifest
>> definition into a res file which could be linked into a target. See the
>> following example:
>>

> I don't like this idea because it's hard to add this for msvc2005 when a manifest already exists and we only have to modify it.

In this case you can use the msvc2005 provided mt tool

In the manifest area there are two kinds of tools
1. adding freshly created manifest file to a resource file
        msvc - rc +  link
       mingw - windres + ld
2. manipulation manifest files in text or resource files (executables
and dll's are resource files)
         msvc - mt tool
         mingw - newly introduced mingw mt tool

>> @Christian: Which informations are exactly required in the manifest -
>> are the trustInfo/security stuff enough ? It is only required to provide
>> executables with a manifest resource or is it also required to add a
>> manifest to dll's ?
>>

> I'll take a look into your tool this evening (hopefully) and add the appropriate functions/strings.

Please note that this tool is c++ and stl only to be able to incorporate
it later in the binutils package.

If you have troubles let me know :-)