Amarok is not able to play OGG files

Eduard Sukharev kraplax at mail.ru
Tue Jun 23 19:15:17 CEST 2009

On Вторник 23 июня 2009 08:11:46 Aekold Helbrass wrote:
> Hi All!
>
> As I can understand currently only DirectSomething sound is supported
> on KDE4Win. And while Amarok scans music collection and adds all OGG
> files to collection, they cannot be played. Is it possible to pack VLC
> engine by default for better files support? As I can understand - VLC
> engine is available to phonon
> (http://wiki.videolan.org/SoC_2008/Qt_improvements). It's bad I don't
> know C++ and can't help inserting it...
Hi :)

First of all, there's an existing how-to on making amarok playing your music:
http://forum.kde.org/a-little-how-on-making-amarok-play-music-t-6431.html

Second - amarok uses installed (and found by KDE and Amarok itself) phonon
engines. KDE on Windows project uses DirectSound engine, but there're others.
And if i'm not mistaken, even vlc one! The problem, however, will be to get
the right version of it - if your packages are compiled with MSVC2005, then
they'll be incompatible with MinGW build of phonon backend and vice versa. I'm
not sure, but there even might be such incompatibility between dfferent MSVC
versions (2005 and 2008)

Hope it'll help :)