plasma defull on the vista

Eduard Sukharev kraplax at mail.ru
Tue Jul 21 09:31:17 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 21 of July 2009 10:13:26 Marcio Esper wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would to know if it is possible replace the explorer for the plasma to
> use it as the defult window manager over the windows.
>
> Thz for attention,
>
> Best regards,
Hi

1) There's no point in replacing explorer by plasma since Plasma lacks
implementation of such vital plasmoids as TaskList and SystemTray. Working
with such shell would be real pain.
2) Plasma is too unstable and behaves not as good as it should (you can alt-
tab between Plasma-desktop and other apps if plasma is used instead of
explorer shell)
3) most important thing - PLASMA IS NOT A WINDOW MANAGER! Plasma is a desktop
shell, that thing that shows you plasmoids, panels, icons, wallpapers etc. It
doesn't deal with windows in any way. Window management is Window Managers'
task. And since KWin is not going to be ported at all (or, at least, in any
near future) you won't get all those fancy compositing effects on Windows.

--

Best regards,
Eduard