KDE for Windows, Portable Edition

Chris Morgan chris.morganiser at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 13:14:04 CEST 2009

On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 8:44 PM, Mike Arthur <mike at mikearthur.co.uk> wrote:

> 2009/7/10 Chris Morgan <chris.morganiser at gmail.com>:
> > How much interest is there for this?  I think that the best way it's
> going
> > to work is having your developers doing the work; I can advise and be a
> > general consultant, but the best way to do it is all in Qt, integrated
> into
> > the KDE for Windows project, and I can't really help with the actual
> coding.
> >  If you like, I could provide a mockup of how I think it should be with
> the
> > Qt Designer and send that round.
>
> Without being rude, in that case it won't get done unless one of the
> developers wants to do so. To have a truly portable KDE application
> which requires no dependencies will be non-trivial as you'd need to
> also bundle things like DBUS.

Saro Engels is interested in it, and another of the developers (can't
remember his name).  I'm not aware of any extra dependencies for KDE which
are needed.

I'm working on some CPack-based installers which might help with some
> of the dependency issues but it'll be a while off before that is
> useful. It might just be a matter of the CPack-based installer plus
> setting KDEHOME to the USB disk.

I don't think that'll be needed; see my original post for the suggestions
that I've made.  While I think I could swing it on my own, the best solution
is one more integrated with the KDE for Windows package; Saro has agreed
with me - they'd like to have KDE for Windows support making a portable
version itself.  While not the way it normally goes with PortableApps.com,
it's by far the best way.

If you really want this done I'd strongly consider doing the coding
> yourself. It shouldn't be too hard to do, codewise, and it would be a
> nice project to learn on. I haven't really heard of any KDE projects
> before working when someone acts as a consultant and people just write
> the code for him (unless they have been paid).

Consultant is just the best term I could find for it... really what I mean
is just that I'm experienced in things portable, techniques of making
portable applications, etc. but not much use (yet) in Qt programming.  I'm
willing to do what I can, but that's likely to be limited to prototyping UIs
and simple things.  I can easily enough make an AutoHotkey program launcher,
and probably fudge together a way of swapping from using the start menu to
writing something this launcher could use, but Qt is going to fit in more.

Interesting project though, good luck with it.

Thanks :-)

Regards,

Chris Morgan <chris.morganiser at gmail.com>

I don't need a quote in my signature.  It's hard enough surviving as it is
without having to find a meaningful quote.  Will you forgive me?  Or don't
you read this bit?