KDE for Windows, Portable Edition

Mike Arthur mike at mikearthur.co.uk
Sat Jul 11 12:44:22 CEST 2009

2009/7/10 Chris Morgan <chris.morganiser at gmail.com>:
> How much interest is there for this?  I think that the best way it's going
> to work is having your developers doing the work; I can advise and be a
> general consultant, but the best way to do it is all in Qt, integrated into
> the KDE for Windows project, and I can't really help with the actual coding.
>  If you like, I could provide a mockup of how I think it should be with the
> Qt Designer and send that round.

Without being rude, in that case it won't get done unless one of the
developers wants to do so. To have a truly portable KDE application
which requires no dependencies will be non-trivial as you'd need to
also bundle things like DBUS.

I'm working on some CPack-based installers which might help with some
of the dependency issues but it'll be a while off before that is
useful. It might just be a matter of the CPack-based installer plus
setting KDEHOME to the USB disk.

If you really want this done I'd strongly consider doing the coding
yourself. It shouldn't be too hard to do, codewise, and it would be a
nice project to learn on. I haven't really heard of any KDE projects
before working when someone acts as a consultant and people just write
the code for him (unless they have been paid).

Interesting project though, good luck with it.

--
Cheers,
Mike Arthur