Windows-Packaging (was: Kmail problem)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Jan 13 09:17:04 CET 2009

Hello Ralf,

On Montag, 12. Januar 2009, Ralf Habacker answered to Bernhard:
> > The KMail within Kontact Enterprise4 has reached beta status
> > (minus packaging).

> I guess that somewhere should be a meeting (may be in Osnabrück) where
> all this package and build system related stuff could be discussed.
> The results should be merged together into a good strategy for the next
> years.

we would be happy to host such a meeting in Osnabrück.
Berlin is another potential place.

My experience with the discussion is, that it is difficult and we need to
inquire more. This prevents an effective meeting as of today, because it is
hard to decide in a low data situation.

> In the past we got several requests/ideas from which the
> following topics are extracted:
>
>     - package size improvements (better compression e.g. lzma)
>     - single application packages
>     - dependency improvements and base package splits to reduze required
> installation size (there were reports that amarok needs about 500 MB
> installation size yet)
>     - single application standalone installer
>     - required installer features and improvements
>     - more topics ?

One discussion on gpg4win-devel@ went into the subject, start
the thread with  the last part of the following email
http://lists.wald.intevation.org/pipermail/gpg4win-devel/2008-October/000760.html

Currently we (as in KK team) attack the dbus on windows problem.
Also we try to get experience with cross-compiling kdepim (and the stack under
it) for gpg4win. Cross-compilation is interesting to solve several problems
with builds and distribution for KDE on windows.

- We need to ship the exact source code, scripts and tools to build each
  specific binary shipped for GNU (L)GPL licensing. Thus the packaging tool
  would need to assemble the source code.
- We need dependency handling for the source code packages.

Emerge currently cannot do this, Debian or RPM would allow this.

Best,
Bernhard

--
Managing Director - Owner: www.intevation.net      (Free Software Company)