Plasma on 4.1.96 [4.2RC] on Vista Home Basic

Chris Jones-Gill chris at jones-gill.co.uk
Wed Feb 4 21:56:29 CET 2009

 Hi,

 I have just installed KDE 4.2RC on my Laptop (h/w details
 below) running windows vista home basic. Plasma does not
 start, just get the windows message

 "plasma.exe has stopped working

 A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
 Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution
 is available"

 There is no other feedback, even when running from the
 command line.

 kdeinit4 --list     shows a number of orphaned PIDS that do
 not respond to a --shutdown or --terminate option

 There is no information in any log or temp files that I can
 find - if there are any I can post them if someone tells me
 where they are likely to be, and/or the likely filename.

 I can stop nearly all processes and services (keeping the
 essentials) but this makes no difference.

 I have tried running in XP(SP2) compatability mode and as
 administrator (and all combinations thereof).

 I tried KDE 4.1.8, but got the "Cannot open URL
 DESKTOP:" error.

 ===
 Hardware summary

 ASUS X58Cseries
 Intel Celeron D220 (running at 1.20GHz)
 1Gb RAM
 SiS Mirage 3 graphics (AGP)
 Realtek High Def Audio
 Atheros AR928x wireless adapter
 SiS 191 ethernet controller
 ===

 If anyone has any ideas please respond, or if you need any
 more information just ask. I can compile/build it on this
 machine if necessary.

 Cheers,

 Chris.