A server for nightly builds. (was: Nightly builds)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Aug 26 16:16:01 CEST 2009

Am Dienstag, 25. August 2009 22:55:18 schrieb Ralf Habacker:
> the drawback is that harddisc of a will probably be huge - i guess about
> 25-40 GB for a single vm.

I do not think this eats up much more harddisc space than regular windows
installations.

> > - We need to buy windows licenses separately and manage them if we
> >    build in parallel

> - Does anyone have free windows license  xp, vista, windows 7 ? 64
> releases ? I remember that some mdsn packages contains os licenses.

We don't and I would consider the license use commercial.
We could ask Microsoft for some gratis licenses, but I am not sure how helpful
they would be or if I wanted to give them the pr success.

> Some notes:
> - On many root server there is - in vmware terms - "no bridged network"
> possible.  According to
> http://kex.cc/2006/09/16/vmware-auf-einem-rootserver-betreiben/ (only
> german)  vm's have to use nat and on the host a private network has to
> be installed

Yes, it depends what you want to do, but you will be able to build up a small
internal network.

> There are also the following questions:
> - Which linux os is prefered ?   (I personally only have knowledge with
> opensuse)
> - Does anyone have experience installing virtualbox on a root server ?
> - Does anyone have enough knowledge to deal with the above mentioned
> network issues ?

We at Intevation have most experience with Debian GNU/Linux
and we know how to solve the installation and network issues.
However as we will not maintain the machine on a daily routine,
it should be the call of the maintainers.

If the effort  of Maurice Kalinowski <haiku at kaldience.com> works out
that is fine with me as well.  I guess one server would be good number to
start with.

Best,
Bernhard