A server for nightly builds. (was: Nightly builds)

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Tue Aug 25 22:55:18 CEST 2009

Bernhard Reiter schrieb:
> Am Dienstag, 25. August 2009 13:51:26 schrieb Ralf Habacker:
>
>>  If the build server would be hosted also on 1&1 one can
>> benefit from the big pipe (about 6MB/s) between both servers for quickly
>> release transfering.
>> They have also a separate ftp backup space and a separated firewall
>> which reduce the maintaince on the server (I installed already some
>> windows and linux servers in this way )
>>

> I wonder if using VirtualBox on a GNU/Linux machine would be an option:

- sounds good
> Pros:
> + Can run more than once build process simultaniously,

and specific platform test vm's could be created to check functionality
for a specific windows os
> + more flexible with  the needed windows variant.

agreed
> + More separation from the internet, possibly less maintenance effort in
>     keeping stuff secure

yes, in the opposite some more efforts required on the host, see network
issue below
> + Server rent less expensive, so we get more computing power for less
>
> Cons:
> - A speed cost of running VirtualServer

seems no problem on a server  with good performance - from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VirtualBox "VirtualBox achieves a
performance that is comparable to that of VMware"
> - A little less native, though this should not matter for the builds.

the drawback is that harddisc of a will probably be huge - i guess about
25-40 GB for a single vm.
> - We need to buy windows licenses separately and manage them if we
>    build in parallel

- Does anyone have free windows license  xp, vista, windows 7 ? 64
releases ? I remember that some mdsn packages contains os licenses.

Some notes:
- On many root server there is - in vmware terms - "no bridged network"
possible.  According to
http://kex.cc/2006/09/16/vmware-auf-einem-rootserver-betreiben/ (only
german)  vm's have to use nat and on the host a private network has to
be installed

There are also the following questions:
- Which linux os is prefered ?   (I personally only have knowledge with
opensuse)
- Does anyone have experience installing virtualbox on a root server ?
- Does anyone have enough knowledge to deal with the above mentioned
network issues ?