A server for nightly builds. (was: Nightly builds)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Aug 25 17:32:36 CEST 2009

Am Dienstag, 25. August 2009 13:51:26 schrieb Ralf Habacker:
>  If the build server would be hosted also on 1&1 one can
> benefit from the big pipe (about 6MB/s) between both servers for quickly
> release transfering.
> They have also a separate ftp backup space and a separated firewall
> which reduce the maintaince on the server (I installed already some
> windows and linux servers in this way )

I wonder if using VirtualBox on a GNU/Linux machine would be an option:

Pros:
+ Can run more than once build process simultaniously,
+ more flexible with  the needed windows variant.
+ More separation from the internet, possibly less maintenance effort in
    keeping stuff secure
+ Server rent less expensive, so we get more computing power for less

Cons:
- A speed cost of running VirtualServer
- A little less native, though this should not matter for the builds.
- We need to buy windows licenses separately and manage them if we
   build in parallel