X64 MSVC KDE

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Aug 25 13:01:01 CEST 2009

Am Montag, 24. August 2009 10:34:05 schrieb Christian Ehrlicher:
> > Christian, I am deeply grateful for your past contributions,
> > but you do sound bitter in this post.
> >
> > I know that I do care! In addition Casper and others demonstrage
> > that they want to help the cause of getting KDE
> > and its applications running on windows.
> > Instead of muttering something like the above, I would appreciate more
> > helpful
> > explanations from you , like a pointer to the list what really needs to
> > be done and how all other things can be fixed to work.
> >
> > Of course this list will draw different opinions and discussion as well,
> > but I believe this is a good thing.
>
> You need a list?
> Ok - I tried to compile kate on windows (because debugging and fixing bugs
> for kate on linux isn't easy for me) and had to fix three or four bugs...
> and if this is not enough - take a look at bugs.kde.org or run a 'make
> test' in kdelibs.

Were the Kate problems you had general or platform specific issues?
I mean each software component will have plenty of both types of issues.
So if someone is interested in Kate, they will help to address them.
I am unexperienced about Kate development, but I guess there will be sort of a
community which at least cares for the platform generic issues.
Maybe that community is too small for Kate, I don't know. If it grew too small
that is a good reason to get depressed.
Anyway, thanks for trying and fixing those defects!

More the general point you've raised concerning the issue tracker and broken
tests in the test suites: I have not yet encountered a non-trival software
product which would have zero issues or no defects. The important question
is: Which defects or wishes should and can be solved first, given the
resources at hand. When I've asked for your list, I was hoping for a few
issues that you see a special importance in, given your experience,
and your reasoning.  That would help me, Casper or anyway much more to see
which issues we should attack an why.

Best Regards,
Bernhard