emerge: help place unified patch

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed May 14 12:14:06 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 13 May 2008 23:26, Patrick Spendrin wrote:
> Bernhard Reiter schrieb:
> > On Thursday 08 May 2008 11:44, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> >> Having wasted some time with emerge again,
> >> because of suprising "emerge --unmerge A B" behaviour
> >> that will build and install B.
> >> I have produced the following patch unify the current documentation
> >> at one place.
> >
> > Shall I commit?
> > (If there is no reaction for a week I would assume nobody cares
> > and just commit, wouldn't I? :) )
>
> Normally yes,
> but in this very case I have two things against it:
> 1) I am about to commit a brand new emerge.py which obsoletes those
> changes as it uses OptParse from then on;

Very good! So when would "about" approximately be? :)

> 2) I would like to have the information remain in the README as it is
> kind of a spec against which I am developing.

I advise against using the README as spec and the duplication of
documentation. I suggest to use a TODO file (or TODO section in the README or
emerge.py) which keeps only the diff.

Wrong usage of emerge can lead to several hours of waited time which
is frustrating, I can reassure you. :)

Bernhard