finding top-level dirs on windows

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Tue Mar 11 19:19:57 CET 2008

Frank Osterfeld schrieb:
> On Monday 10 March 2008 10:37:38 Ralf Habacker wrote:
>

>> Your are mixing two task:
>>
>> 1. detecting kde installation root
>> 2. storing this root into the registry.
>>
>> while i see no problem for a patch for task 1, my questions if task2 is
>> really needed for your project because it has some drawbacks as already
>> stated.
>>

> I can patch kdelibs to our needs, my question is mostly about dbus (which I
> can also patch, but that'd require us to maintain our own dbus packages, see
> below). How would you solve 1. for dbus then, without registry key, at
> runtime from within dbus?

The dbus library contains already stuff to determine the dbus install
directory in the way the kdecore library does - see
_dbus_get_install_root(char *s, int len) in dbus/dbus-sysdeps-win.c.

If you have a patch there is no problem to apply this patch to the
windbus code.

>>> gpg4win won't depend on KDE on windows directly nor vice versa, from the
>>> KDE point of view gpg4win2 is rather an alternative, heavily stripped
>>> down KDE distribution (i..e. only Kleopatra, necessary parts of kdelibs,
>>> KDE icons, gnupg libraries and dependencies (Qt, dbus...)).
>>>
>> You are aware, that you are forced to maintain all required packages by
>> yourself  ?  In case you haven't noticed  there are already several
>> binary package available - see for example
>> http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/x11/kde/unstable/4.0.63/win32/.
>>

> Yeah, I'm aware of those. In fact, we use the existing binary packages for KDE
> dependencies (dbus, Qt, ...). One reasion why I'm interested in generic
> solutions.

i assume you have to repackage those binary package ?

>> There is also a buildsystem available
>> http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Getting_Started/Build/KDE4/Windows/
>> emerge to which your packages could be easily added and you have the
>> possibility to build your packages and all requirements as a whole and
>> for debug/release mode.
>>

> Building kdelibs, kdepimlibs and kdepim is not the problem. We can't reuse any
> of the existing KDE packages anyway, as we must strip everything  from
> kdelibs/kdepimlibs/kdepim we can to keep the gpg4win2 installer size minimal.
> The final version should be cross-compiled from Linux even.
I understand.