Request to merge enterprise4 Kleopatra into trunk before KDE 4.1

Marc Mutz mutz at kde.org
Sat Jun 14 20:31:24 CEST 2008

On Saturday 14 June 2008 17:58, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Saturday 14 June 2008, Marc Mutz wrote:
> > Hei,
> >
> > First of all: yes, there are new features, and lots of new strings.
> > Read on, though.
> >
> > Kleopatra is still being actively developed as part of the upcoming
> > gpg4win v2.0 (www.gpg4win.org). Because of the (overly long, IMHO)
> > feature and string freeze, some of the scheduled features and lots of
> > usability improvements (all of which involve string changes,
> > naturally) had to be done in enterprise4 branch.
> >
> > There are two facts to consider here:
>
> [snipped facts irrelevant for what I'm going to reply]
>
> > Given these two facts, and the rather long time before KDE 4.1.0
> > final, I would like to request merging back _all_ of Kleopatra from
> > e4 to trunk, probably towards end of June.
>
> You should have cc'ed the release team and/or kde-core-devel. KDE PIM
> has no authority to make this decision.

The first question of the release team will be: have you talked with the
kdepim maintainer, and the translators. So that's what I'm doing...

> [snip]
>
> > The alternative is to disable Kleopatra in KDE 4.1, since I won't
> > accept bug reports against an unusable prerelease version. But even
> > though Kleopatra as an application isn't the most high-profile
> > application in KDEPIM :), trunk libkleo would still force kde-windows
> > to continue to deal with gpgme-qt.
> >
> > So, as a third alternative, we could merge gpgme++ (which is BIC, but
> > not part of KDE, in fact, there's talk to host it inside gpgme svn),
> > qgpgme and libkleo to get rid of gpgme-qt, and not merge Kleopatra
> > (which means disabling it in trunk). This includes the dependency
> > chain from the first alternative.
>
> I think it's important to know whether this alternative would introduce
> new strings.

To the best of my knowledge, it doesn't.

> Also you might consider moving Kleopatra (the application) to
> kde-extragear. Then you won't have problems with the release schedule
> of KDE.
<snip>

I have no problems with the release schedule. It fits fine, we'd be done about
four weeks before the final release :)

Thanks,
Marc