[Kde-pim] Request to merge enterprise4 Kleopatra into trunk before KDE 4.1

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Jun 14 17:58:15 CEST 2008

On Saturday 14 June 2008, Marc Mutz wrote:
> Hei,
>
> First of all: yes, there are new features, and lots of new strings.
> Read on, though.
>
> Kleopatra is still being actively developed as part of the upcoming
> gpg4win v2.0 (www.gpg4win.org). Because of the (overly long, IMHO)
> feature and string freeze, some of the scheduled features and lots of
> usability improvements (all of which involve string changes,
> naturally) had to be done in enterprise4 branch.
>
> There are two facts to consider here:
[snipped facts irrelevant for what I'm going to reply]

> Given these two facts, and the rather long time before KDE 4.1.0
> final, I would like to request merging back _all_ of Kleopatra from
> e4 to trunk, probably towards end of June.

You should have cc'ed the release team and/or kde-core-devel. KDE PIM
has no authority to make this decision.

[snip]

> The alternative is to disable Kleopatra in KDE 4.1, since I won't
> accept bug reports against an unusable prerelease version. But even
> though Kleopatra as an application isn't the most high-profile
> application in KDEPIM :), trunk libkleo would still force kde-windows
> to continue to deal with gpgme-qt.
>
> So, as a third alternative, we could merge gpgme++ (which is BIC, but
> not part of KDE, in fact, there's talk to host it inside gpgme svn),
> qgpgme and libkleo to get rid of gpgme-qt, and not merge Kleopatra
> (which means disabling it in trunk). This includes the dependency
> chain from the first alternative.

I think it's important to know whether this alternative would introduce
new strings.

Also you might consider moving Kleopatra (the application) to
kde-extragear. Then you won't have problems with the release schedule
of KDE.

Regards,
Ingo