KDE4 windows binary distribution

Saro Engels ps_ml at gmx.de
Wed Jan 16 10:43:20 CET 2008

Ralf Habacker schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> today I have gotten access to the staging server of the kde4 mirror
> system which means we can release windows package onto the kde4 mirrors
> in the near future. Additional we have access to the sourceforge high
> bandwith mirror system for the same purpose.
> To be able to use the kde mirror system there are currently some open
> thinks:
>
> 1. Mostly kde mirrors use the ftp protocol which isn't supported by the
> installer yet - this has to be extended
>
> 2. sourceforge mirrors do not support sub directories, which requires to
> extend the installer a bit -> I'm working on this, it will be ready in
> the 0.8.5 release of the installer
>
> 2. kde mirror directory layout:
> The currently used mirrors contains several directories with kde
> unstable releases and directories for supplementary libraries and tools.
> There are only the latest version of the supplementary libraries
> available which may work for win32libs but probably will give problems
> for packages in the kdesupport category because of possible api changes.
>
> Given the fact that installer version 0.8.5 will support flat directory
> structures I'm planing to put all required files (including the
> installer config file) for a given release on the kde mirrors into one
> subdirectory eg:
>
> /pub/kde/unstable/3.97/windows
>    -all files for 3.97 release
> /pub/kde/unstable/4.1/windows
>    - all files for 4.1 release
>
> You can see an example of such structure in
> http://download.cegit.de/kde-windows/mirror-example/
>
> Any comments ?
Thanks a lot for the KDE mirrors first.

Second: We could try and avoid api changes - emerge should be able to
build packages that use a specific tag / a specific Revision soon.
Since at least some kdesupport packages have made a release, we could
try to use that as a base first.
I am not sure yet how far KDE 4.1 will rely on e.g. a soprano > 2.0.
And last it is not supported anyway to install stuff from different
releases so no problems should occur.

> Ralf

regards,
SE