Problems with KDE installer version 0.8.4-3

Helge Stenström h.stenstrom at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 14:05:19 CET 2008

Hi,

I'm not a regular user of KDE, but I recently discovered the
KDE-windows project, and thought it would be cool to try it out. A
reason enough would be to be able to use Amarok on Windows. Anyway:

The KDE Installer behaves strangely in several ways.

It is often very non-responsive, taking tens of seconds to update from
one screen to the next. It may also take tens of seconds before the
Next button is activated or clickable.

No mirror were pre-selected. I looked around on the site, and found
http://download.cegit.de/kde-windows/mirrors.lst-new, from where I
tried http://download.cegit.de/kde-windows. It would be better if a
few mirrors were pre-filled, or if there was a comment on where to
find mirrors.

When going forwards and backwards with the Back and Next buttons,
graphics from a late stage stays in the window, when it shouldn't. It
obscures the input fields for, e.g., download directory or mirror
host.

I've come no further than "Please select the required packages". There
are no packages listed to select. Just three large blank fields with
column headers in two of them. (Packet groups; Package, available,
installed, bin/doc, package notes). Clicking Next at this stage
doesn't seem to do anything.

When I click Cancel, there is a message from Windows (I think), as if
the program had crashed.

I noticed that in the same directory as where kdewin-installer.log is
stored (c:\Temp\kde in my case), there is a config.txt file with
size=0. Sometimes it is automatically removed.

I'm running Windows 2000.

This is the contents of my  Installer.ini:

[General]
DeveloperMode=false
FirstRun=false
autoNextStep=false