[RFC] gnuwin32/kde-windows package format

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Jan 8 17:54:03 CET 2008

On 04.01.08 21:53:23, Michael G. Hansen wrote:
> Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > On 03.01.08 15:07:12, Michael G. Hansen wrote:
> >> Another issue is localization of the description. Debian for
> >> example is starting to provide localizations of package descriptions.
> >> How about:
> >> kate:en: A text editor
> >> kate:de: Ein Text-Editor
> >> This opens up the possibility of translation for later.
> >
> > Hmm, how does Debian do that? Do we want the translations inside the
> > packaging metadata? Or can we do something like the gettext format, so
> > we extract the descriptions and ship a compressed format of the
> > translations. I mean if you update the translations in the metadata you
> > need to package a new version of that app, while if they're somewhat
> > external you don't.
>
> I just checked and debian uses an extra file contains all the
> translations for a specific language for all packages. Having one
> external file for all packages is nice if you have a repository, it
> could only be a problem if I want to provide a single package for
> download without a package repository.

I think we misunderstand each other. I was talking about translating the
metadata of the package, not the text inside the program. These two are
different things. Both might be in the package itself, but IMHO should
be separate.

> If a package contains all the
> translations for the strings used in the program itself, why shouldn't
> it also contain the translations for the package-description? Or is the
> plan to have a kde-i18n-LANG-package that contains the translations for
> all KDE-programs? (This is also how it is handled in debian)

For the core modules its much easier to just ship a kde-i18n-LANG
package instead of trying to fetch all the separate .mo files.

Andreas

--
Your boyfriend takes chocolate from strangers.