[RFC] gnuwin32/kde-windows package format

Michael G. Hansen mikeml2 at pfna.de
Fri Jan 4 21:53:23 CET 2008

Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 03.01.08 15:07:12, Michael G. Hansen wrote:
>> Another issue is localization of the description. Debian for
>> example is starting to provide localizations of package descriptions.
>> How about:
>> kate:en: A text editor
>> kate:de: Ein Text-Editor
>> This opens up the possibility of translation for later.
>
> Hmm, how does Debian do that? Do we want the translations inside the
> packaging metadata? Or can we do something like the gettext format, so
> we extract the descriptions and ship a compressed format of the
> translations. I mean if you update the translations in the metadata you
> need to package a new version of that app, while if they're somewhat
> external you don't.

I just checked and debian uses an extra file contains all the
translations for a specific language for all packages. Having one
external file for all packages is nice if you have a repository, it
could only be a problem if I want to provide a single package for
download without a package repository. If a package contains all the
translations for the strings used in the program itself, why shouldn't
it also contain the translations for the package-description? Or is the
plan to have a kde-i18n-LANG-package that contains the translations for
all KDE-programs? (This is also how it is handled in debian)

Greetings,
Michael