beginner questions about emerge

Michael Drüing michael at drueing.de
Sat Jan 5 02:19:57 CET 2008

Hi,

I'm not a huge KDE guru myself but I think I can still answer some of the
questions. If I'm wrong, somebody will correct me, I hope :)

> Question 1:
> I understand that to build a target, the command is 'emerge [target]',
> and was just wondering where I could find an exhaustive list of all
> the possible targets.  That is, if there is one ;)

Each target corresponds to a *.py file in the %KDEROOT%\emerge\portage tree.
For example, there's a file
%KDEROOT%\emerge\portage\kde\kdebase\kdebase-3.97.20071231.py. This means
you can do "emerge kdebase" and it will execute this .py file, which
downloads, compiles, and installs kdebase plus all it's dependencies.

> Question 2:
> Once emerge builds a target, assuming the target is an application
> will there be a .exe file for that application, or what - in other
> words, how to I run the target once it is built?  As an example, say
> I build the kate editor with the command 'emerge kate' - how would I
> then run the kate editor on my computer?

Assuming that you have read the techbase article about emerge on win32[1]
and provided that you have set up all env. vars in the .bat files as
described there, you will get the .exe file and all required DLLs in the
%KDEROOT%\bin directory, which should already be in your path. That means
you just type "kate" at your command prompt, and kate will start. (provided
that there's no bug which prevents kate from running on win32...)

http://download.cegit.de/kde-windows/win32libs/single/shared-mime-
> info-0.23-bin.zip
>           => `c:/distfiles/shared-mime-info-0.23-bin.zip'
> Resolving download.cegit.de... 82.149.170.66
> Connecting to download.cegit.de|82.149.170.66|:80... connected.
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
> 19:49:12 ERROR 404: Not Found.
>
> wget ret: False
> emerge fatal error: command fetch failed
> emerge fatal error: running python
c:\kderoot\emerge\portage\dev-util\win32libs\
> win32libs-20080104.py fetch
>
> I'm not sure what is wrong.  Someone suggested updating emerge from svn,
> so I did that, but I still have the same problem.  Can anyone help
> me to get this working?  Thanks.

It was I who suggested that. I emerged qt successfully a few days ago, when
shared-mime-info was still at version 0.22. Everything worked for me.
However, I noticed that the 0.22 version I got was in a .zip file, while
version 0.23 currently only exists as .tar.bz2 on the server. I think
someone needs to either provide a .zip file on the server, or change emerge
to download a .tar.bz2 instead of the .zip.

Meanwhile, you should be able to fix it yourself (however, I didn't verify
this, so make a backup before trying ;-)

Open up %KDEROOT%\emerge\portage\dev-util\win32libs\win32libs-20080104.py

search for
http://download.cegit.de/kde-windows/win32libs/single/shared-mime-info-0.23-
bin.zip
change it to