beginner questions about emerge

Clinton Reddekop clinton.reddekop at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 02:00:04 CET 2008

Hello,

I am interested in KDE programming and would like to try it on my Windows XP
computer.  I am starting at the very beginning, with no prior experience
with KDE, linux, or any open-source project.  I hope someone can help me
with some simple questions about emerge.

Question 1:
I understand that to build a target, the command is 'emerge [target]', and
was just wondering where I could find an exhaustive list of all the possible
targets.  That is, if there is one ;)

Question 2:
Once emerge builds a target, assuming the target is an application will
there be a .exe file for that application, or what - in other words, how to
I run the target once it is built?  As an example, say I build the kate
editor with the command 'emerge kate' - how would I then run the kate editor
on my computer?

Question 3:
I've been following the instructions at
http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4/Windows/emerge
to set up emerge.  I got to the part where it says to run 'emerge qt', so I
did.  For a while it seemed to be downloading files, then it got to one it
had a problem with:

19:49:11 (69.60 KB/s) - `c:/distfiles/redland-1.0.3-5-lib.zip' saved
[230941/230
941]

wget ret: True
--19:49:11--
http://download.cegit.de/kde-windows/win32libs/single/shared-mime-
info-0.23-bin.zip
           => `c:/distfiles/shared-mime-info-0.23-bin.zip'
Resolving download.cegit.de... 82.149.170.66
Connecting to download.cegit.de|82.149.170.66|:80... connected.
19:49:12 ERROR 404: Not Found.

wget ret: False
emerge fatal error: command fetch failed
emerge fatal error: running python
c:\kderoot\emerge\portage\dev-util\win32libs\
win32libs-20080104.py fetch

I'm not sure what is wrong.  Someone suggested updating emerge from svn, so
I did that, but I still have the same problem.  Can anyone help me to get
this working?  Thanks.

Clint