The project name

Jarosław Staniek js at iidea.pl
Fri Feb 8 14:13:42 CET 2008

Saro Engels said the following, On 2008-02-08 02:46:
> Jarosław Staniek schrieb:
>> After the thread about "people" page, here's another by the way:
>>
>> One note regarding the project name. We already use the following combinations:
>> KDE-Windows, KDE Windows, KDE-applications
>>
>> A question to contributors: Please answer what your idea is, to have more
>> consistency and improve appearance once the project gets more matured.
>>
>> I was thinking about "KDE on Windows project" and using "KDE on Windows" in
>> texts where possible. Look that the techbase already uses "KDE on Windows" on
>> the top level: http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Projects
>> (and that's compatible with KDE on Mac OS X, Solaris, FreeBSD)

The "KDE on Windows" is a simplification aimes at users, not devs. The users
who will never switch to GNU/Linux name and will call that Linux as almost all
the media do.

Devs are using machine-readable names, and the irc and mailing list names are
examples of that.

 > Sometimes I think that KDE on Windows/MacOSX is a bad choice since
 > neither of the two targets the desktop itself (which is implied by that
 > form imho) but we only port the applications (... yet).

The fact is that I have always claimed the same as you, see the introduction at
[1] http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=KDElibs+for+win32 - written in
about 2004.

But the _desktop_ is not the only meaning of the KDE term. Aaron has blogged
about this more than twice I guess. Since then [2] has been updated too. And
KDE is now
- development platform
- selection of applications
- a desktop
(what's more important depends on the context and who is asking ;)

[2] http://kde.org/whatiskde/

There is still one KDE on many platforms, just not presenting all the features
(it's true on BSD too).

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek