The project name

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Fri Feb 8 11:06:23 CET 2008

Saro Engels schrieb:
> Jarosław Staniek schrieb:
>
>> After the thread about "people" page, here's another by the way:
>>
>> One note regarding the project name. We already use the following combinations:
>> KDE-Windows, KDE Windows, KDE-applications
>>
>> A question to contributors: Please answer what your idea is, to have more
>> consistency and improve appearance once the project gets more matured.
>>
>> I was thinking about "KDE on Windows project" and using "KDE on Windows" in
>> texts where possible. Look that the techbase already uses "KDE on Windows" on
>> the top level: http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Projects
>> (and that's compatible with KDE on Mac OS X, Solaris, FreeBSD)
>>
> Sometimes I think that KDE on Windows/MacOSX is a bad choice since
> neither of the two targets the desktop itself (which is implied by that
> form imho) but we only port the applications (... yet).

you said it - 'yet', i think it will not need so much time until
someones frustation about the default windows desktop will raise a level
that - at least - a partial port will come. :-)
Think about global KDE application settings - they are located in
KControl or it's successor - system settings - For my opinion we should
take this into our thoughts.
Otherwise the term "KDE on Windows" does not limit anything - it could
mean applications and/or a desktop.

On http://www.kde.org/whatiskde/ there is listed

      KDE The Desktop Environment

and

      KDE The Application Development Framework

so you can choose what you want.

If we would take "KDE Applications on Windows" this would limit only to
applications and I don't that this is what we want.

> A more straightforward form would be KDE/Windows (as in GNU/Linux o
> GNU/Hurd) but I am not really a fan of that form.
>
> My proposal is:
> We use 'KDE on Windows' in written text as in
> "The KDE on Windows project uses both microsoft and free compilers."
> where ever possible.

In the history this term was also used in "KDE on Cygwin/Xfree", so
t"KDE on Windows" sound good as successor.

> If one really needs to shorten it, we should use  'KDE-Windows'
> (preferrably with all capital KDE and capital W plus a dash).
> This is used e.g. in the name of the mailing list, the name of the IRC
> channel etc.
> All other occurances should be changed to one of the two possibilities.
> I think until now I tried to use those two ways at least for official stuff.
>
> Our """products""" might need to be renamed, though I am not sure who
> will have to think of a good name ... ;-)

If you are relating to the term KDE: KDE^® and the K Desktop
Environment^® logo are registered trademarks of KDE e.V (see the link
above), so there is no need for any renaming, the names are protected.
Instead for my opinion KDE should extend it's naming protection to the
additional supported platforms. I'm not laywer, so I cannot say if it
would be possible to register "KDE on Windows" or KDE on MAC/OSX" as a
trademark .