A couple of newbie questions

Saro Engels ps_ml at gmx.de
Fri Feb 1 23:26:00 CET 2008

Michael O'Shea schrieb:
> Hi Guys,
>
> just a couple of questions before I can get up and running :
>
> 1) The installer.
>
> The first time I ran the installer I chose "End User" and "unspecified
> compiler". That downloaded the binaries and I'm able to execute a number
> of K apps. Now I'd like to start getting some source code, I somehow
> can't change these options which stay greyed out in the installer's
> settings. I dug around a bit (looking for a config file, registry
> entries, running the installer from the command line looking for some
> extra options, etc) but with no success.
>
> Can someone point out how I can change these settings ?
No change needed in the installer settings for now - You should have all
stuff that would be needed to work on KDE if you install the source
packages. Normally development happens against the sources of KDE's
subversion sources (see http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/ for a browsable
frontend). Currently most of us use
http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Getting_Started/Build/KDE4/Windows/emerge
to build the current sources themselves, there are some more ways
building directly on top of the installer sources though.

> 2) The bug list
>
> As of *Fri Feb 1 22:59:22 CET 2008 *there are 22 bugs listed. Either you
> guys have done a fantastic job of the port so far, or you haven't been
> logging bugs ! That's not the point of my question though. This being my
> first time trying to help out an OSS project, I'm unsure as to the
> procedure for having a bug assigned to oneself. I can imagine a few
> scenarios but am curious as to the usual modus operandi.
Well, You could have guessed a bit more:
The oldest bugs aren't that old - since we decided only some days ago to
work with b.k.o because KDE on windows wasn't in beta state (where it
starts to make sense to track bugs) until now.

> Where do I go from here ?
If you like IRC, try to join #kde-windows on freenode.net; if not you'd
have to use e.g. the mailing list here (which sometimes might have a
small, hm, lag;-)).
Normally you would apply for an subversion-account as well as stated here:
http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Contribute/Get_a_SVN_Account

> OK, that's all for now. I'll only really be able to get into this when
> my first question gets an answer so I'm really eager to hear from
> someone on that.
We really need new people and hope we can give you a warm welcome here!

> Cheers !
>
> Michael

regards,
SaroEngels