Plasma Windows

Patrick Spendrin ps_ml at gmx.de
Thu Aug 28 15:58:29 CEST 2008

Steven J. Terrill schrieb:
> Hello,
>
> I became aware of the effort to port plasma to replace the explorer
> shell a few weeks back from a dot.kde.org digest. I would be interested
> in contributing to this effort, I do not have any OSS experience, I'm
> currently a senior student of Computer Engineering. Could I have a point
> of contact on this effort to talk with and possibly get pointed in the
> correct direction.
Ok, first thing is:
Build the KDE stack directly from the source:
http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4/Windows/emerge
Plasma is included in a package called kdebase-workspace.
Second step would be to use another GPL-licensed shell replacement
called EmergeDesktop (http://emergedesktop.org/) and look into their
code how they achieve a real shell replacement.

> Apart from kde itself, I'm also interested in discovering the interfaces
> microsoft provides for replacing the shell. I am a Windows Vista user,
> but should be able to obtain a copy of XP for vm use if plasma on vista
> doesn't work at the moment.
It shouldn't be a problem afaik.

If you need some more information, try joining either the irc channel
#kde-windows on freenode.net or ask here again on the mailing list.
Thanks for your interest and welcome here.

> Thanks,
> Steven

regards,
Patrick