target group

Patrick Spendrin ps_ml at gmx.de
Tue Aug 26 17:15:11 CEST 2008

Michael Bischof schrieb:
> Am Dienstag, 26. August 2008 15:38:37 schrieb Dan Meltzer:
>> On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 9:10 AM, Michael Bischof
>>
>> <michael-bischof at dv-kombinat.de> wrote:
>>> Gentlemen,
>>>
>>> who is the target group of kde-for-windows? I am just trying it out and
>>> find it in a status where I cannot recommend it to my pupils.
>
>> At this point, where kde-windows has yet to be released,
> ?
> I got it because somebody had pretended it was released.
There are two different ways of making a release:
Currently we are packaging KDE software build on Windows - we are of
course using the sources defined as "Release" on Linux; this does not
mean that KDE on Windows is meant to be any kind of stable in the sense
that you won't experience bugs.
This applies to the upcoming 4.1.X branch packages as well - they are
named stable just because it is the stable source branch.
> ,,July 29th, 2008 : Announcement: Release of KDE 4.1.0 on Windows
>    Again we have been very quiet but not lazy for the last months. KDE on
> windows has evolved quite a bit, with more packages available, some nasty
> bugs fixed and hopefully more stability
>
>  Available for download are: kdebase-apps, kdebase-workspace, kdeedu,
> kdegames, kdegraphics, kdenetwork and kdewebdev. Some of packages haven't
> made it today and will arrive tomorrow: this will be kdeedu and kdebase-apps
> on msvc and kdeutils on both compilers. Try out with the latest
> kdewin-installer."
>
> http://windows.kde.org/news.php
>
> And please look here just for the title:
> http://winkde.org/pub/kde/ports/win32/releases/stable/4.1.0/
>
>> the target  audience is highly computer savvy people who don't mind messing
>> with the hell that is windows.
>
> I do not like this hell and I ,,don't mind" - but to report things that do not
> work should be a kind of help?
Those bug reports have not been very useful - if you really want to
report bugs, please report them into KDE's bugzilla
(http://bugs.kde.org) or here on the mailing list with the same amount
of information needed for bugzilla.
And don't expect us to know every bug / problem in software we just port
and don't write ourselfes.

>> In the future, the hope is that all of these issues will be gone and
>> joe user and his wife jane can happily use kde apps all the day long.
>
> Regards,
>
> Michael Bischof

Patrick Spendrin

web:                 http://windows.kde.org