MSI installer for KDE4

Jaroslaw Staniek js at iidea.pl
Thu Aug 21 23:55:22 CEST 2008

Pau Garcia i Quiles said the following, On 2008-08-21 16:17:

<sniiiiip>

>>> Summarizing, what I propose is:
>>> * Have redistributable packages for kdelibs, kdepimlibs and
>>> kofficelibs, each one of them including its third-party dependencies
>>> * Use side-by-side assemblies and make kdelibs, kdepimlibs and
>>> kofficelibs be shared assemblies
>>> * Standalone installers for applications, including the application
>>> and the 3rd party dependencies specific to that application
>>
>> Perhaps you have issues with the GUI of the installer, in terms of
>> usability
>> (then such improvements can be made as the installer is very actively
>> maintained - and kudos for this to the Team!), not about the whole
>> idea which
>> is exactly the same now, you only use different names (or paths) for
>> the same
>> things.
>
> I think the installer is very good but not perfect. IMHO, the more we
> mimic the way users are familiar with to install applications, the more
> users we will have.

For me: Windows installers (other than msi files) are standalone applications,
so there's nothing user may be familiar with except the installaiton process
visible as the GUI wizard.
As Christian said, and let's repeat this: issues, if any, are:
- related to the GUI
- related to installation from the local filesystem

What I can see in terms of functinality in your proposal, is a bootstrap
feature, as I mentioned before, realized by providing a small file initiating
installation of a given app/lib (in specific version). Just like a bittorrent
file is provided for initiating the download.
I like idea of having this alternative installation path, so I'd appreciate
your help in this area, including bug reports.

But I cannot see anything more or especially new in your proposal...

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek