Getting playback with Amarok on Windows

Jenny Sebastian jenny.sebastian at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 16:08:20 CEST 2008

I'll just list the different steps I took.

First I followed this guide:
http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4/Windows/emerge

I chose mingw as compiler so I did not install any SDK.
I was advised that in order to save time I should modify the
emerge/portage/extragear/amarok*.py file and comment out the hard deps for
ruby and kdebase-runtime.

After that I simply ran emerge amarok, which went through until it hit
phonon, which wouldn't compile as the trunk was broken. I circumvented with
emerge --target=4.2.0 phonon

After it was done, I did emerge amarok again and it continued to build
flawlessly till the end.

Amarok started without problems, of course lacking icons etc, but was
generally working. However, no playback could be achieved. It turned out
that the needed bin/phonon_backend/phonon_ds9.dll was missing, which got
fixed after I was instructed to use --target 4.2 for phonon rather than
4.2.0 So after emerge -i --target=4.2 phonon, ds9 was compiled properly.