Missing phonon backend

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Thu Aug 7 05:33:02 CEST 2008

I just emerged amarok and its dependencies.  However, no file would play.  I
checked kcmshell4 kcm_phonon and found that I have no backends.

After doing some digging, I checked that qt was built without phonon support
and that kdesupport/phonon was emerged -- both true.  So I tried updating the
phonon package, and ran into linking errors.  Then I tried a fresh build of
it, and still ran into linking errors, pasted below.

Any help, and/or any knowledge of how to get Phonon backends working, would be
great.

Thanks,
Jeff

   Creating library ..\bin\phonon.lib and object ..\bin\phonon.exp
mediasource.cpp.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public:
static struct QMetaObject const
Phonon::AbstractMediaStream2::staticMetaObject"
(?staticMetaObject at AbstractMediaStream2@Phonon@@2UQMetaObject@@B)
streaminterface.cpp.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public:
static struct QMetaObject const
Phonon::AbstractMediaStream2::staticMetaObject"
(?staticMetaObject at AbstractMediaStream2@Phonon@@2UQMetaObject@@B)
iodevicestream.cpp.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public:
static struct QMetaObject const
Phonon::AbstractMediaStream2::staticMetaObject"
(?staticMetaObject at AbstractMediaStream2@Phonon@@2UQMetaObject@@B)
mediasource.cpp.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "protected:
__thiscall Phonon::AbstractMediaStream2::AbstractMediaStream2(class QObject
*)" (??0AbstractMediaStream2 at Phonon@@IAE at PAVQObject@@@Z) referenced in
function "public: void __thiscall Phonon::AbstractMediaStream2::`default
constructor closure'(void)" (??_FAbstractMediaStream2 at Phonon@@QAEXXZ)
streaminterface.cpp.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external
symbol "protected: __thiscall
Phonon::AbstractMediaStream2::AbstractMediaStream2(class QObject *)"
(??0AbstractMediaStream2 at Phonon@@IAE at PAVQObject@@@Z)
iodevicestream.cpp.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "protected:
__thiscall Phonon::AbstractMediaStream2::AbstractMediaStream2(class QObject
*)" (??0AbstractMediaStream2 at Phonon@@IAE at PAVQObject@@@Z)
mediasource.cpp.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "protected:
virtual void __thiscall
Phonon::AbstractMediaStream2Private::setStreamSize(__int64)"
(?setStreamSize at AbstractMediaStream2Private@Phonon@@MAEX_J at Z)
iodevicestream.cpp.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "protected:
virtual void __thiscall
Phonon::AbstractMediaStream2Private::setStreamSize(__int64)"
(?setStreamSize at AbstractMediaStream2Private@Phonon@@MAEX_J at Z)
mediasource.cpp.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "protected:
virtual void __thiscall
Phonon::AbstractMediaStream2Private::setStreamSeekable(bool)"
(?setStreamSeekable at AbstractMediaStream2Private@Phonon@@MAEX_N at Z)
iodevicestream.cpp.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "protected:
virtual void __thiscall
Phonon::AbstractMediaStream2Private::setStreamSeekable(bool)"
(?setStreamSeekable at AbstractMediaStream2Private@Phonon@@MAEX_N at Z)
mediasource.cpp.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "protected:
virtual void __thiscall Phonon::AbstractMediaStream2Private::writeData(class
QByteArray const &)"
(?writeData at AbstractMediaStream2Private@Phonon@@MAEXABVQByteArray@@@Z)
iodevicestream.cpp.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "protected:
virtual void __thiscall Phonon::AbstractMediaStream2Private::writeData(class
QByteArray const &)"
(?writeData at AbstractMediaStream2Private@Phonon@@MAEXABVQByteArray@@@Z)
mediasource.cpp.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "protected:
virtual void __thiscall Phonon::AbstractMediaStream2Private::endOfData(void)"
(?endOfData at AbstractMediaStream2Private@Phonon@@MAEXXZ)
iodevicestream.cpp.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "protected:
virtual void __thiscall Phonon::AbstractMediaStream2Private::endOfData(void)"
(?endOfData at AbstractMediaStream2Private@Phonon@@MAEXXZ)
mediasource.cpp.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "protected:
virtual void __thiscall Phonon::AbstractMediaStream2Private::dataReady(void)"
(?dataReady at AbstractMediaStream2Private@Phonon@@MAEXXZ)
iodevicestream.cpp.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "protected:
virtual void __thiscall Phonon::AbstractMediaStream2Private::dataReady(void)"
(?dataReady at AbstractMediaStream2Private@Phonon@@MAEXXZ)
mediasource.cpp.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "protected:
virtual __thiscall
Phonon::AbstractMediaStream2Private::~AbstractMediaStream2Private(void)"
(??1AbstractMediaStream2Private at Phonon@@MAE at XZ) referenced in
function "protected: virtual void * __thiscall
Phonon::AbstractMediaStream2Private::`scalar deleting destructor'(unsigned
int)" (??_GAbstractMediaStream2Private at Phonon@@MAEPAXI at Z)
iodevicestream.cpp.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "protected:
virtual __thiscall
Phonon::AbstractMediaStream2Private::~AbstractMediaStream2Private(void)"
(??1AbstractMediaStream2Private at Phonon@@MAE at XZ)
..\bin\phonon.dll : fatal error LNK1120: 8 unresolved externals
LINK Pass 1 failed. with 1120
emerge debug: BuildType: Debug
emerge debug: setdirectories called
emerge debug: getCategoryPackageVersion: K:
\kderoot\emerge\portage\kdesupport\phonon\phonon-4.2.0.20080723.py