Switch to MSVC 9.0 (aka 2008 express

Abdelrazak Younes younes at lyx.org
Wed Apr 16 16:04:43 CEST 2008

Christian Ehrlicher wrote:

>>>  We only use aspell. Currently only the precompiled version from
>>>  gnuwin32 (0.50.3) because I had no time and will to test 0.60.5. But
>>>  at least it compiles. :) Aspell is one of our 'combined' packages
>>>  which is useable for mingw and msvc builds. It gets compiled with
>>>  msys.
>>>
>> OK, I see. FWIW, all binaries inside the above described archive are
>> compiled with MSVC2008, including gettext and Aspell. We even have
>> compiled most of the aspell dictionnaries, see
>> http://wiki.lyx.org/Windows/Aspell6
>>

> Thx - maybe we'll update to the new aspell then. I'll see. But aspell would be compiled with mingw because of the reasons above.

Hum, not sure this will work as Aspell is a C++ library. Linking with
mingw compiled C library is always possible I think but not a C++ one, I
am pretty sure of that.

FWIW, aspell is a dead end anyway. It is basically unmaintained for
years. For LyX we plan to switch to Enchant someday and use whatever
engine is available. On Windows, the best thing to do would be to use
the one brought by OO and Mozilla (named hunspell AFAIR).

Abdel.