Switch to MSVC 9.0 (aka 2008 express

Abdelrazak Younes younes at lyx.org
Wed Apr 16 15:08:53 CEST 2008

Christian Ehrlicher wrote:
> > Von: Patrick Spendrin Abdelrazak Younes schrieb:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I am involved in the LyX project and Peter Kummel had made easy
> >> to use your Qt and GnuWin32 binaries for us (thanks by the way
> >> Peter ;-) . I am happy to report that your installer worked
> >> perfectly and I am very impressed by it. Would you consider
> >> switching to MSVC 2008?
> > Probably not that fast.
> >> Another question, I know that LyX is not a KDE project but it
> >> makes heavily use of Qt and your devel packages contains
> >> everything needed to buid it. Would you consider adding LyX to
> >> your build bot?
> > No non-human build bot available currently. But I think it would be
> > not a great deal to add LyX to our packages in the end.
>
>  Why the lyx people provide an instruction how to build it I've no
>  problems to compile it on my 'human machine build system' :).

We have a CMake based build (among others) so it should be simple for
you :-)

svn co svn.lyx.org/lyx/lyx-devel/trunk trunk
mkdir 1.6
cd 1.6
cmake ..\trunk\development\cmake -DGNUWIN32_DIR=c:\devel\kde -G "Visual
Studio 9 2008" -Dnls=1 -Daspell=1 -Dmerge=0

>  But not with msvc2008 - it would force me to recompile every single
>  lib build for msvc2005 and it would also force all uses to update all
>  packages instead only the new ones. We would just get to much
>  trouble.

I understand that. But, on the other hand, msvc2008 express is easier to
install and do not require any other support packages (the SDK IIRC).
This means that the barrier to entry for a new developper is lower :-)
Do you have already many users anyway?

Question: do you really compile everything with MSVC2005 or is there
also some Mingw compiled package in the repository? I am thinking of the
gettext libintl library. One of our developper (Joost in copy of this
mail) has created this dependency package for us:

ftp://ftp.lyx.org/pub/lyx/contrib/lyx-windows-deps-msvc2008.zip

Maybe you could pick up some packages in this? Joost told me that he
applied a few patches to Aspell, aiksaurus and int in order to let them
compile with MSVC2008.

Thanks and regards,
Abdel.