KDE Windows Updater Client

Bernhard mustermaxi at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 15:02:43 CET 2007

thx for the feedback!

To be honest I've hoped that someone could make a nice suggestion because I
don't know how the KDE team will manage the whole packaging. (compiled
packages, just source, executables) Afaik you won't release a KDE Windows
version with KDE 4.0. Is this still true?

The whole project has basically begun because I think it would be a nice
addition for users who are currently using a program, are encountering a
bug, file a bug report, and if you've got luck with the next update (you get
from this little prog) you get the fixed version automatically. (don't know
if you should just update for example from 4.0.0 to 4.0.1 or if you should
use snapshots of svn.)
I'm open for every suggestion regarding both technical and user views.

If there's no other way round I thought about just downloading the new zip
archives and replace the files of your current install.

Sadly I haven't had any time yet to look into the code of the KDE-Windows
installer and how it works. Does it compile something? Or does it just copy
the files from the archive into your install directory?

Also I don't know yet how to implement the dependency handling and if this
is something my program should concern about (imo the dependencies should
have already been checked by kde-windows-installer).

I hope you've got some suggestions and feedback for me.

Bernhard