KDE Installer doesn't download vcexpress-msvc (and fix)

S Page skierpage at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 8 06:43:58 CET 2007

In kdewin-installer-gui-0.8.1-2.exe I check the vcexpress-msvc "all"
button, click Next, some text flashes in the window and is immediately
replaced with "Installation finished".  But nothing is downloaded.

kdewin-installer.log shows:

   [2007-11-07 18:52:55] Debug:Downloading
"http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=51410&clcid=0x409"  to
"C:/Documents and Settings/S Page/Desktop/Downloads/KDE4/vcsetup.exe"

but there's no vcsetup.exe.

I think the issue is this go.microsoft.com URL is a 302 redirect to
   Location:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/3/a/83aad8f9-38ba-4503-b3cd-ba28c360c27b/ENU/vcsetup.exe
but as Mr. Ehrlicher said
> but we only tell Qt (QHttp/QFtp) to download this file for us
and QHttp doesn't follow the redirect.  kdewin-installer's
Downloader::readResponseHeader should notice that it isn't status 200 OK
which should result in qWarning("Download failed: 302 Found") but for
some reason I don't see this output.

The workaround is easy, just download yourself from either URL.

I think changing the @url-bin line in config.txt for @package
vcexpress-msvc to
@url-bin
http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/3/a/83aad8f9-38ba-4503-b3cd-ba28c360c27b/ENU/vcsetup.exe