buildsystem for kde on windows

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue May 29 10:30:32 CEST 2007

On 29.05.07 03:39:04, Marcel Partap wrote:
> My dear KDE developers,
> pardon my impatience but when will I be able to compile the whole of KDE4 on windows non-manually, like with Konstruct?
> What happened to the kewl winemerge build script Holger Schröder contributed? I'd really like to join in on debugging
> this 'next best Windows GUI', and of course have fun with trying to get it to compile under WINE. But right now, the
> build manual seems outdated, and people keep complaining about missing files; additionally I'd prefer to compile
> everything on my computer and not load it with 'foreign' binaries..

You won't get around that last part, building some of the requirements
of KDE4 is quite hard and is certainly not worth the trouble. So
everything you should build yourself is qt, kdesupport and then
kdelibs.

> So, what about a proper automatic build system?  Would it not be time
> well invested? IMHO a lot of duplicate fiddling is taking place right
> now.. I may be completely wrong on that though.

There's already a proper automatic build system implemented in a
scripting language: kdesvn-build. All it really needs is some porting to
windows. So far the winemerge stuff needs some work to be done on it to
be useful again so  instead IMHO this time should be spent on
kdesvn-build. Of course this means finding a perl hacker to actually do
this, I myself am certainly not capable of doing that.

Andreas

--
Give him an evasive answer.