Portable KDE-Apps?

Jarosław Staniek js at iidea.pl
Thu Dec 20 20:19:00 CET 2007

Matthias Fuchs said the following, On 2007-12-20 17:52:
> Hello,
>
> I hope this hasn't been asked before allready, otherwise sorry for the
> repost.
>
> Will it be possible to have some of the KDE 4.X apps as portable
> applications for Windows?
> So that I could use these apps on Windows machines I have no admin
> rights on.
>
> I haven't tried the working apps yet, but are all the files installed in
> the directory you specify - let's say your USB-Drive? In that case one
> probably would not need a special portable version.

One would say, "Portable" apps is another name for fixing poorly designed
deployment system of a given app. We hope to have some dynamism that would
allow to have control regarding our paths...

Myself, I have only touching Documents And Settings directory and can move and
extract zipped archive with prerelease version of KDE some apps. This is OK,
but what causes a problem is the case when you want to sahre your settings.
You would have to decide where are your settings and user directory - on the
USB or system 'documents and settings' area.
Our facilities would probably ask the user about this using a gui dialog, as
one of the unfortunate cases is the one when you have duplication of your
inbox, settings and password wallet.
The only constant place is the registry, where the path of the user's data dir
could be saved.

Thoughts?

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek