Portable KDE-Apps?

Saro Engels ps_ml at gmx.de
Thu Dec 20 18:01:18 CET 2007

Matthias Fuchs schrieb:
> Hello,
>
> I hope this hasn't been asked before allready, otherwise sorry for the
> repost.
>
> Will it be possible to have some of the KDE 4.X apps as portable
> applications for Windows?
> So that I could use these apps on Windows machines I have no admin
> rights on.
>
> I haven't tried the working apps yet, but are all the files installed in
> the directory you specify - let's say your USB-Drive? In that case one
> probably would not need a special portable version.

Until now all applications can be installed to one prefix - they should
work there out of the box. If you want to try, put your USB-Stick as
package install directory and start the applications from there.

There are some things though - application settings go to C:\Documents
and Settings\%USER%\.kde - you will have those settings staying on the
computer.

There might be a way to change this but I currently don't know it and
didn't test it yet.

If you try it - please post your results here;
If you have questions or problems, either ask them here or in the IRC
channel #kde-windows on freenode.net.

regards
SE