KDE Windows and releases

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Wed Dec 19 20:03:04 CET 2007

Hi,

as I said, I'm subscribed now :-)

On Wednesday 19 December 2007, Ralf Habacker wrote:
> One reason against mingw was that debugging kde applications with gdb
> would be very hard because of very very long debug info loading time and
> that there is no gui available - is anyone there who can give an update ?

As already noted, kdevelop should be an option.
Shouldn't insight be working with mingw ?

> For the technical decision I have some questions:
>
> 1. Is it possible to use dll's created with Visual Studio 2005 with VS
> 2008 ?
> 2. Is it possible to use dll's created with Visual Studio 2008 with VS
> 2005 ?
> 3. Is it possible to use dll's created with Visual Studio Express 2005
> with the other versions VS 2005  and VS2008 ?
> 4. Are any side effects known in one of the above mentioned case ?

I think vs2008 is currently supported only in cmake cvs, and will be supported
in 2.6.0 and I think in the soon-to-be-released 2.4.8.

> You can download the setup from
> http://download.cegit.de/kde-windows/other/setup-kate-3.97.1.exe. Please
> note that there may be problems using this snapshot because of the early
> state.
>
> The most annoying and time consuming part is to identify the required
> files but it will be a question of time that the required knowledge will
> be available.

Yes, this is right.
It would be cool if cmake would support "intelligent" install targets, so you
could do "make install-with-deps" and it would install the current
application and everything the app needs. There is a feature request in the
bug tracker, but this would need a major rework of the install support in
cmake :-/

> > Is porting something like dpkg or rpm even remotely possible/sensible?
> > Or is it easier to just to a simpler custom implementation?
>
> There is a sort of package manager available as part of the kdewin
> installer, which takes an installed packages and create the related
> archive. There is also a package descriptor concept in work by using a
> specific file for example
> http://download.cegit.de/kde-windows/kde-3.95.1/single/kdebase-mingw.hint.
> (This descriptor file may be added later to the archive to only have one
> file)
>
> Recent kdewin installer versions are able to load and interpret this
> files to setup dependencies and give package information.
>
> I am personally are working on a pre/post-installer script support using
> windows batch files. It  is in an early design phase. If there are
> requirements and/or implementation ideas let me know.

As somebody in a later email wrote, it might become more like rpm, and if you
would consider using rpm, I would suggest to have a look at deb instead, the
file format is much simpler.

Alex

P.S. I still would find it cool if you could use cpack for the packages,
adding an additional package format is no big problem.