FAQ a bit unclear (Windows Vista HP, KDE 4.0)

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Aug 28 18:57:26 CEST 2007

On 28.08.07 17:53:00, Dapuzz wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 10:18:15 +0200, Gabriel Green <gabegreen at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > The instructions for compiling KDE4 have me dumbfounded.  The directories
> > the installer places things in bear no resemblance to the instructions on
> > the website.  Is this because it is outdated or because I am missing
> > something?
> >
> > For example, I have no directory called win32libs.  It seems to put those
> > libraries and executables in C:\KDE4\bin
> >
> > Also, does anyone have binary packages available to get me started?
> >
> Have you a second partition named 'D:'?
> Does 'andreas' is your name?
>
> Don't rank me a rude but the tutorial (expecially on kdelibs.com) is not a
> step-by-step guide to follow without understand what the tutorial itself
> is telling you to do.

Are you kidding? That tutorial explains that the author uses these paths
and the user might want to use different paths. Those instructions are
for developers, not end users that want to play with KDE4/win32. The
win32 version is nowhere near a beta quality that would allow end users
to play with the apps.

And I do expect a developer to be able to follow these instructions
replacing paths mentioned with the paths on his own system.

Anyway, if you think it needs improvement (actually IMHO kdelibs.com
should be shut down and all content moved to techbase), please improve
the step-by-step instructions on techbase.

The kdelibs.com pages now indicate they are outdated (dunno wether
SaroEngels just did that or wether that was there longer, if it was than
Gabriel needs to put his lenses on when reading ;).

Andreas

--
You have an unusual equipment for success.  Be sure to use it properly.