patch for kde windows installer

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Wed Aug 8 22:32:16 CEST 2007

Saro Engels schrieb:
> Ralf Habacker schrieb:
>
>> Saro Engels schrieb:
>>
>>> I have implemented two more functions for registry access: set- and
>>> delWin32RegistryValue for the installer. If the maintainers of the
>>> installer are satisfied with this patch, please check it into svn
>>> since I have no svn-write-access.
>>>
>> applied. Thanks for your patch.
>>
>>> my plans:
>>> As the installer should have the same functionality as a normal
>>> installer-package (package-name.exe)I will implement functions to read
>>> and write a package-info file for the installer next.
>>>
>> I'm not sure I understand you. Do you mean that if you start the
>> kdewin-installer the first time it will register itself in the win
>> software repository  accessable by system settings and to be removed
>> there or do you mean to register each package installed with the
>> kdewin-installer ?
>>
>> Ralf
>>

> I originally thought that if the kdewin-installer uses zip packages
> packaging would include a file (possibly a batch file) where the
> kdewin-installer could read all registry keys etc. from. That would need
> some kind of api to write each packages registry keys into the registry.
> Right now my  favourite would be going away from simple zip files since
> that would give the need to make up a new package format (like deb, rpm)
> which had no real base on windows systems.
The installer uses a zipfile format used by the well known gnuwin32 site
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/
> I would prefer using a runtime-installer(nsis/inno) right now. We could use both then:
> installing with kdewin-installer and installing without it. Since most
> opensource programs already build such an installer, we could easily use
> those packages as well (without repackaging efforts for us).

The strategy is to provide a working kde environment using the kdewin
installer with all required dependencies. If the codebase has reached a
usable stage, people are invited to provide stripped down packages using
runtime-installers with single applications like kontact/kmail, kdevelop
and so one.