Another point of view to consider re: compiler for KDE4/win32 binary packages

Christian Ehrlicher Ch.Ehrlicher at gmx.de
Sun Apr 15 13:04:54 CEST 2007

Kevin Kofler schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> Since there has been mainly feedback from M$VC users complaining about the
> plan to only provide MinGW binaries and even going as far as suggesting to
> only ship M$VC binaries instead, let me express another point of view which
> appears to have been completely ignored on this list until now: application
> developers who want to cross-compile their applications for Win32 from a
> system like GNU/Linux.
>
> When cross-compiling, I definitely need MinGW binaries of kdelibs. M$VC
> binaries are useless for obvious reasons, and I don't think trying to
> cross-compile all of kdelibs, which probably hasn't ever been tested, is
> going to be a productive use of my time either. Instead, I was able to just
> download the kdelibs 3.80.3 snapshot binaries (which appear not to be
> available anymore, unfortunately) and get a cross-development environment set
> up for my application very quickly. (My application uses qmake to build,
> which can be coaxed into doing cross-compilations with some config file
> trickery, see
> http://tigcc-linux.cvs.sourceforge.net/tigcc-linux/ktigcc/mingw/ . And please
> don't complain about the application not actually working properly on Win32
> right now, that's expected, the port isn't anywhere near complete yet.)
>
> So I hope I made my case in favor of MinGW binaries. Are there any planned for
> Alpha 1?

That's a good point and I see it in a similar way. MinGW packages are
the only packages which are really opensource. For kdelibs we could also
provide msvc packages so commercial devs could use them too, but not for
the rest.

I hope we can provide binary packages for alpha1, but there are a lot of
things to do until then.

Christian