klauncher and kdeinit on win32 initial running

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Fri Nov 24 01:49:44 CET 2006

Hi all,

in the last days there were some efforts to get klauncher and kdeinit on
win32 running.

The current state is, that klauncher is able to start win32 applications
with command line parameters (at least on mingw, which I have tested)

The recent implementation does not depends on kdeinit like the unix
version, because forking isn't available under windows, any process is
started as regular process even kio slaves. Instead klauncher uses
QProcess to start additional applications inside klauncher.

kdeinit is designed as initial launcher for the basic kde application
like dbus-daemon, klauncher and kded (and optional application like unix
kdeinit does using the +app syntax).

My notes to this implemenation are:
- The unix version of klauncher/kdeinit uses very much native unix api
function for example socket code. My question is if there are any plans
for a (may be partial) redesign to avoid duplicated parts in the unix
and windows code.

Anyone who is interested in seeing KDE on windows is invited to check
and advance this features.

Regards