[Kde-windows] initial download tool for gnuwin32 and further kde packages

Jarosław Staniek js at iidea.pl
Tue Jan 10 10:06:52 CET 2006

Ralf Habacker said the following, On 2006-01-10 09:41:
> Am Samstag, 7. Januar 2006 02:46 schrieb Ralf Habacker:
>
>>Ralf Habacker schrieb:
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>appended is anm inital version of a  QT based kde installer which
>>>could be used as install base today for required packages from sf
>>>gnuwin32 mirrors and for KDE and related packages.  How it works:
>>>
>>>At first it downloads a package list (html page) from the sourceforge
>>>gnuwin32 file list page, parse it and generate a local package list.
>>>Then it looks if there are already installed packages and update the
>>>list in memory and prints out a package list to get a overview. Be
>>>default it downloads the unzip packages, which is used as external
>>>unzip tool. (the unzip library should be called later directly)
>>>In a second start packagenames could be added to the command line,
>>>which are then downloaded and installed.
>>>
>>>Compiling/running instructions.
>>>1. Unpack the archive.
>>>2. enter main dir and run qmake
>>>3. run make
>>>4. run bin\kde-installer-console.exe
>>>
>>>This tool could also be a base of a generic sourceforge installation
>>>tool, as the package list format is the same for all projects.
>>>
>>>My plans are to add this to svn as subdir of
>>>kdelibs/win/kde-installer, so that others can contribute. Another
>>>choice is to locate it on the qtwin cvs/svn.
>>>
>>>I would be glad to get some feedback about this effort, if this would
>>>be useful and so one.
>

> Is noone there who could give some feedback ?

The idea and location for it seems good. Some people may be convinced we could
create .msi installer instead, but I am not sure. As you know I've used NSIS
installer tool for the task, with compromises.

If I correctly understand, your installer shoudl be "installed" first and then
it can work as, say, FINK?

There's one problem with Qt-based installers if we want *standalone packages*:
these alone require a about 3 MB large Qt lib(s). And, of course unless the
lib(s) are not statically linked, things look ugly: you need to extract the
lib somewhere before starting the main installer's executable.
I haven't tried to anyway, because I deploy my apps using CDs, where all files
- .exe and qt**.dll are kept in one common directory.

That said, I think some people may prefer to have one-package-to-install way
and they can run their app of choice, and others may decide to say OK to
Linux-like package management (this whould be in fact ANOTHER OS-in-OS, after
.NET :) ).

--
regards / pozdrawiam,
  Jaroslaw Staniek / OpenOffice Polska

  Kexi Developer:      http://www.kexi-project.org | http://koffice.org/kexi
  Kexi Support:        http://www.kexi-project.org/support.html
  Kexi For MS Windows: http://kexi.pl/wiki/index.php/Kexi_for_MS_Windows
  KDE3, KDE4 Libraries For Developing MS Windows Applications:
                       http://www.kdelibs.com/wiki