[Kde-windows] general question about win32 port

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Wed Oct 26 23:57:55 CEST 2005

Hi all,

currently there are some people working on the bksys build system for a win32
port of KDE. I'm working personally on the mingw port using the official qt4
gpled port for windows. Others are working on an MS Visual C++ port using the
QT4 extension from qtwin.sf.net.

In the past a win32 port was discussed very controversial (I remember a long
blog thread of Aaron Seigo, a zdnet.uk interview I had and several other
threads). In  the last time i see more and more, that people and companies
like this idea (as for example Aaron has reported) .

Because this port enters a new level for KDE, I (and probably other) like to
be prepared best for this way in legal and other issues.

Relating to this I have some question:

1. what the KDE people think about the state the win32 port has
	- full integrated into the present kde community protected by the KDE e.V.
	- partial integrated (topics has to be defined)
	- not integrated, full independent project without any support and/or
	  relation in any way

depending on topic 1, there are additional topics:

2. where to place public informations about this port (like porting state,
how-tos and so on)
	- integrated into KDE website
	- separate website like www.kdelibs.com or kde-windows.sf.net or so

3. using kde bug reporting system (I remember for kde-cygwin people sends bug
to the kde bug system and got mainly negative feedback)
	- possible
	- better use a separate bugtracking system

4. where to place download area
	- main kde mirrors
	- independent mirror system

5. mailing list