D6001: Ark: kerfuffle plugin Mac adaptation

René J.V. Bertin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon May 29 12:17:20 UTC 2017

rjvbb added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D6001#112487, @elvisangelaccio wrote:

  > Is `otool` even available on linux? If a mac user also has `ldd` that wouldn't be a problem, as long as we put the `findExecutable(ldd)` in the else branch (so if `otool` is found, we use it).

  I was indeed thinking of testing for otool and then falling back to ldd. However, 'otool' is really a rather vague name (it serves a whole set of related purposes on Mac). It doesn't exist as such on Linux, nor do I know of any existing tool with the name, but that's also exactly why anyone could write a script for whatever (unrelated) purposes. However unlikely that may sound, it's a possibility. I don't care personally, and I don't think it'll affect anyone who uses both platforms so if you don't care I'll just put in the runtime checks.

  > Anyway, if you *really* want to make this a compile-time check, then I'd prefer to use cmake magic, something like:
  >
  >   if (APPLE)
  >      target_compile_definitions(kerfuffle -DDEPENDENCY_TOOL=otool)
  >      target_compile_definitions(kerfuffle -DDEPENDENCY_TOOL_ARGS=-L)
  >   else()
  >     # define as ldd...
  >   endif()

  I personally think that'd be preferable over runtime checking but it's your call.

REPOSITORY
  R36 Ark

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D6001